Review of Sony Ericsson Xperia Active

Written By Sam on Monday, December 19, 2011 | 10:44 PM


See the detail Review of Sony Ericsson Xperia Active by WILL HARVIE.

REVIEW: Last month, I went through a long process identifying which mid-range smartphone suited my needs, and settled on Sony Ericsson's Xperia Active.

I have now operated the phone for some weeks.

Does it meet expectations? Yes. Almost everything I anticipated about the phone has come true.

For example, I expected the relatively small touchscreen (three inches v 3.5 inches on an iPhone) would hamper some activities, and that's true. I sometimes hit the wrong button, but it's a flaw I can live with, given the modest $400 price.

The battery needs charging almost every day, and I paid extra for a car lighter jack and cable. The biggest disappointment is the five-megapixel camera. Photos look great on the amazing Sony Bravia screen, but are disappointing when transferred to a computer or printer.



The Active is "slightly rugged" – meaning it's shock, dust and water resistant. I've already dropped the phone on concrete and it survived. A friend with the same phone left his in a bucket of water for 20 minutes without issues.

Sony targets the phone at "consumers with an active lifestyle" and Telecom says the handset can "take the rough and tumble of outdoor sports".

They mean the ruggedness and built-in GPS, barometer and compass, and preloaded fitness software of various capabilities.

So far, I've mostly used a pedometer (step counter), with mixed success because it can't be calibrated. Some day soon I'll download a better product from Google's Android Market.

The Active is powered by Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and I love it. The Android Market is a treasure trove of great and grim apps (software) that provide hours of fun and frustration.

Android, ruggedness and price were the main reasons I bought this phone and I'm happy with all three.

Sony and Vodafone sell a companion phone, called the Xperia With Walkman (also for $400, handset only) that targets people wanting a "social music experience". That's not me, but I'm satisfied Sony has fine-tuned that phone with the same skill and finesse it did with the Active.

I've been watching the mid-range smartphone market since I bought my phone and competition is still driving down prices. It's a great time to buy an unpretentious phone.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Active smartphone

$400 handset

Read detail full review at: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/gadget-reviews/6162644/Review-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Active

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts